Paul Basham Associates is a fast-growing, and award-winning Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transport Planning consultancy. We are offering an exciting opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer role to support the management of an expanding civil engineering team and oversee fast-paced complex schemes across a diverse range of clients.
- Work within an active and lively Civil Engineering design team responsible for the design of drainage systems, highway layouts, and S278/S38 schemes.
- Work in a design office, with regular exposure to developers, architects and local authorities
- Undertake and manage team resource for design work including;
- Drainage systems in accordance with Sewers for Adoption, building regulations and the SuDS Manual,
- On and off-site highway features, in accordance with the appropriate standards and codes e.g. Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets,
- Reviewing of junior team members reports, design and drawing work,
- Mentor junior staff members and support their journey towards ICE accreditation,
- Work with the Associate and Technical Director in the preparation of budgets for prospective projects and with the writing of fee proposal letters,
- Attend client meetings and site visits,
- Co-operate with the Quality Management System (QMS) through undertaking administrative activities,
- Promote the company brand and reputation through and marketing input,
- Mentoring and training of junior staff,
- Support our regional offices and other departments through knowledge sharing.
- 2+ years’ experience in a similar role,
- Line management experience including undertaking of appraisals, identification of training and ensuring performance of junior team members,
- Team management and resource coordination experience,
- Experience working with local authorities, developers and architects on civil engineering aspects of a range of schemes,
- Varied experience working on schemes through the planning process; from pre-app through to condition discharge,
- Civil engineering project management experience including projects combining drainage, external works and highways elements
You must have the ability to:
- Ensure team resource works to collective goals,
- Monitor team performance and progress towards invoice targets,
- Produce clear and concise detailed team updates,
- Oversee civil engineering design work utilising team resource with due consideration of budget, client deadlines and invoicing,
- Develop civil engineering design solutions from first principles on complex projects.
You must have:
- A thorough understanding of CDM responsibilities and the ability to take a holistic view on designing out risk,
- Strong time management skills and an ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.